Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 14 - DC White House

Saturday, July 5, 2014

We were so tired from the night before, the rest of the family slept in while I went to pick up a few supplies at the store.
  

Senator Heller's office had arranged a tour at the White House.  We had to go through a lot of security and I was a little disappointed in the tour.  I think it would have been better if there was a tour guide sharing interesting stories about the rooms you could view.  There was just Secret Service Agents in each room. They would answer some questions, but it just wasn't the same. 


We went across the street to take a picture, and this same woman that I saw 20 years ago in this same spot, was still protesting.  Someone said that she has been there for 30 years.


We had a pretty long walk to the National Archives.  It was getting pretty hot, so we had some ice creams while we waited in line to get in.


We were able to see the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.  The Declaration was so faded, you couldn't really read it, but the Constitution was very legible.


We headed across the street to see the National Art Gallery.


We split up and the kids mostly sat in the front of the building.  I looked around with Dave and but lost him and got myself lost for a while in the older Early Renaissance works.  I finally made my way over the the other wing and saw Monets, Cassats, Renoirs, van Goghs, Saregeants, and lots of other works.  I went back up to the information desk and found my family taking naps on their couches.   

 

We decided to head back to the hotel and find somewhere to eat in that area.  The shuttle driver suggested an Italian restaurant, Topoino.  We ate and watched the World Cup shoot out between the Netherlands and Coasta Rica.  The Netherlands won.

No comments:

Post a Comment